Discipline: Discus throw
• Discus throwing began as a sport in ancient times.
• It began as an Olympic sport for men in the 1896 Athens Summer Olympics and for women in the 1928 Amsterdam Games.
• An athlete must have a lot of experience in the sport, be well conditioned and flexible to be able to perform this difficult charge.
Medals for 2004 Summer Olympics
|Zoltan Kovago (HUN)||Aleksander Tammert (EST)
|Natalya Sadova (RUS)||Anastasia Kelesidou (GRE)|| Irina Yatchenko
Olympic Record Holder
• Virgilijus Alekna of LTU broke the men’s Olympic record at 69.89m at the 2004 Olympics in Athens.
• Martina Hellmann broke the women’s Olympic record at 72.30m at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul.
To read this page in portuguese, click here.